This article may contain affiliate links. Read my ABOUT page for more disclosure information.
Amsterdam is a fabulous place in which to dine, drink, and enjoy the multitude of eating and drinking establishments. Now, I’m not talking about the tourist churners on Rokin, or the red light Thai places, or the restaurant touters on Leidseplein. I’m talking about tasting cuisines from around the world, all in the most pleasing and very walkable city of Amsterdam.
This post was inspired by Jessica Lipowski’s book ‘Flavors of Life’, about expat restauranteurs in Amsterdam, and the array of amazing establishments they have opened to feed the madding crowds!
Here are some of my favourite eating and drinking establishments in the city of canals:
- Bakers & Roasters – they have 2 locations, one in De Pijp (Eerste Jacob van Campenstraat), or Centrum (Kadijksplein). They serve a fusion of New Zealand comfort breakfast food combined with Brazilian flare and flavours, such as Huervos Rancheros! You sometimes have to wait for a table at B&R, because it’s so damn popular… but only because it’s so damn good. Thanks to Jessica Lipowski for tipping me off to this one!
- Waterkant (Marnixstraat 246) – Set beneath an imposing, but weirdly beautiful multi-storied carpark, Waterkant serves beautiful Surinamese cuisine, and a fine drink selection, in a fabulous eclectic beer-garden setting.
- De Belhamel, (Brouwersgracht) – Watch the world go by as you sit in the candlelight with views down the Herengracht. The setting of this restaurant really is so picturesque. Serving modern French cuisine in an art nouveau setting, this is my pick if you want a romantic dinner.
- Proeflokaal De Admiraal is a restaurant and genever tasting room on Herengracht. Genever is distilled using malt-wine and is the predecessor of English gins (the English tried to copy the recipe, but making the malt-wine defeated them, so gin was born instead). De Admiraal have an utterly fantastic selection from the van Wees distillery. Try the sausage and cheese selections, and the bitterballen while you’re there!
- Stout! (Herengracht 211) – This stylish bar and eatery serves gin and tonic like an artwork. It isn’t a cheap place to drink, but it has a lovely outdoor sunbathing bed + tables that a perfect for watching the world go by.
- Verhulst (Johannes Verhulststraat 105) – I love Verhulst for brunch or lunch – the atmosphere is laid back, yet stylish, and the food is hearty yet adventurous (and thoroughly delicious)!
All photos © Hannah Henderson and may not be used without permission (sharing this blog post is fine, though!).